Saturday, September 27, 2014

CAREER RANT

As far as my career goes, I'm getting rather frustrated. I know being an artist doesn't pay the bills. Last month I earned just over $30 from sells between 4 books, and that is the most I've ever made in a month...I'm so not even close to quitting my day job, or night job as it were. But I'm getting frustrated there, too.

While I was in college I used the extra time at night, when all my work was done and all the hotel guests were sleeping, to study and write. After college I used it to write and fill out job applications, what with my shiny new Bachelor's degree. (5 years later, no new job)

I used to love working all night at the hotel, (Eh, love is a bit strong. Endured well would fit better)

...However, the amount of work keeps piling up and up. I'm doing more and more. The boss seems angry if I have a minute to myself.  I don't get lunch breaks, I don't get any breaks at all! I work 10 hours a night, nonstop with no recognition and I'm constantly taking on new responsibilities and special projects. Employees that haven't been there a whole year have been made Employee of the Month. I am the ONLY employee who can't boast that title. That among other hints tells me that my boss doesn't like me, she never even sees me. My body and mind beat me up because it's unnatural to stay up all night and I've been doing this for over 8 years.All the perks of working at night are gone. I haven't written a word in over a weeks. I have no quiet to write at home and no time to write at work...No quiet and no writing makes Diana go something something (CRAZY)....Maybe I just need a new job.

Rant done, thank you for listening. Not sure if any of that made sense...I got off work at 7:15am and I'm still up at 2:30pm. My brain is fried.and I need to be back at work at 9:30pm. I need to get to sleep! LOL 

2 comments:

  1. I spent years being classified below another transcriptionist at the hospital because she typed more reports than I did. OTOH, she grabbed all the short reports first, so if you added up the dictation minutes, I did about twice as much as she did. I was denied raises based on this. Even when they had a line count available (the most accurate measurement for productivity), I still came out as the worse employee. The supervisor loved that coworker and I pissed her off. Sigh. It happens to everyone.

    In addition, as you well know, writing is a crap shoot. You and I are both very good story tellers, but the problem is that the real money is in romance. Anyone can sell a romance novel, good or not. But if you do something off the track, out of the box, whatever, it's incredibly difficult to convince people that if they read it, they will like it.

    Hang in there. The world will be blown away when they finally find you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Intellectually I know this sort of thing happens a lot in the work place, it's just so easy to get tired of the daily grind and want some recognition.

      Some reviewers have called my books paranormal romance...but they're not, not really. Romance is just one aspect of my books, and it's not the most important one. ^_^

      Too often I torture myself by staring at the best sellers list on Amazon. Asking myself why I can't be one of them. Eh, would I really want that kind of attention. Nope. LOL

      Delete