Saturday, January 30, 2016

Writing With Dyslexia

My mom told me when I was very young that I was a suborn student. I refused to grasp the concept of THE...How on Earth does T + H make the TH sound? And since when does E sound like U? How does this word make a lick of sense? I mean, I got bat, cat, hat, sat, fat, rat, log, frog, dog...these words just make sense. I remember actively arguing with my teacher about the spelling of the word, been...as in; I've been there before. If it's pronounced bin, they should spell it that way, not been...Beans should be spelled beens. LOL ....Be-Ans doesn't make sense to me... For years and years I couldn't wrap my mind around these words and others like them. I got very poor marks in school...having ADHD and manic depression didn't help either. 

So...I couldn't read and write well, which just added to my already haywire emotions, but that's okay because, LOOK something shiny!    hehehe, I mask my pain with humor. 

I realized my ambitions to become a writer in my senior year of high school. I had this teacher who for some blessed reason, looked beyond my abysmal spelling and sentence structure. He looked at my voice and deemed it applaud worthy. All my life I had been failing or mostly failing in school, but he gave me high marks and encouraged me. He was the first teacher to do so. 

I wrote for 10 years before I finally published something I thought was worthy enough for others to read. Right now it has 41 great reviews on Amazon.com; Fatal Retribution. 



Writing with dyslexia isn't easy. Sometimes it means that what sounds bad-ass to you, sounds silly to me. In my head, Raina didn't subtlety suggest they make love. She suB-tleTy suGGested that thE-y make lOve. Hehehe, my brain works funny. I can't just associate words with nonsensical spelling, I have to sound it out in my head the way it is spelled, or it looks like this: She sutly sujjested that thay make luv. Thank the lOrd for spell check. 

And can we just take a moment to appreciate the spelling of Dyslexia? I mean, WTF? Seriously. That craziness is like if you called Arachnophobia, SPIDER! SPIDER! LOOK BEHIND YOU! THERE'S A SPIDER!




No comments:

Post a Comment