Monday, June 5, 2017

BOSS LADY

Well shit. Life goals, they're never easy. This time last year I had several goals. Publish the last Raina Kirkland Novel and The Artist Novella, remodel my home, sell it and buy a new home. I did all that. It was hard as fuck, but I did it (with the help of my family)

What I didn't expect was to not have a job at the end of it all...Now I'm faced with a decision. Find another dead-end day job or try to make it as mixed genre artist (painter, writer, graphic designer) I'm making a go of the latter, but I don't have forever to make this work. A month or less...

Last week my husband told me to treat it like a business. Duh... But then he asked me how I would treat the people I managed at my old job, to which I said, "like people." But his words have been playing in my mind the past few days...As a hotel auditor, I was forever filling out reports and updating information for management...I need to create a daily report for myself to keep me on track. 

Yesterday I revamped Deadly Encounters, which took me nearly 5 hours because my lap top is fuck slow! ...I didn't get to bed until 4 in the morning. Well, now I know. I've changed to the home computer and everything is going a lot faster. But I need to put a flame under my ass.


My paintings are large and grand, and popular...but they are too expensive to sell. Especially for an unknown artist, like myself. So the next best thing is to upload them to a print on demand site (your art on mugs, t shirts, laptop covers, pillows, canvas prints), which I have been doing for some time. RedBubble...In a year I've sold 1 item...But there are other sites. So I spent a few hours opening accounts with Societ6 and CafePress....I tried Zazzle, but when it came to actually uploading the artwork they were very NOT user friendly and everything was horribly tedious. I have an account with them, so I may try again later. I still have DeviantArt to look into tomorrow, but now I must get organised big time. All my art is not in one spot. It's scattered over memory sticks. I need to organize it and upload it all to all the sites. Mass coverage is my best bet.



Meanwhile, I still have books to write, The Zombie Book and The Librarian AND I still have that Dark in the Park event in July at Pacific Park, but now I'm not 100% sure I can attend. When I signed up for that thing I had a job. I could afford it, but not now. I created a Go Fund Me thing but only my best friend has donated so I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause.

Anyway, here I am. I'm finally the boss lady I always fought to be at my old job...but I'm the boss of just one person, me. This is hard, but hopefully worth it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment