Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Teaser Tuesday: The Librarian 1

TEASER TUESDAY:
The Librarian: Serial Series 2

FROM CHAPTER 1:
The phone’s screen said my sister was calling me from North Carolina. Oh goodie.
I answered it. “Hello, Hanna.”
“Wow, you actually picked up the phone, Carmy! We haven’t heard from you since we sent you all that money, honey. The whole family pitched in to help you out after that horrible man…” she let that sentence end there. “We thought you were going to use the money to come home and rebuild your life, here, with us, your loving family.”
“I, Oh, I bought a trailer and this woman is letting me crash on her land. Her granddaughter was one of Weaver’s victims.”
“A trailer on some poor woman’s land, that’s where you’ve been hiding?”
“I feel safe here.” Well, I did before I opened my door and saw that bird. Now all sorts of doubts were creeping in.
“Oh, Carmy. Wouldn’t you rather crash on my couch? I don’t like the picture of you alone in a trailer on some nice woman’s land.”
“Please call me Carmen. I hate Carmy.”
Carmen, come home. Mom and Dad would sure love to see you.” Oh Hanna, my parents already had a perfect daughter to dote on. They didn’t need me.
“They wouldn’t if they knew anything about me.”
“What are you talking about, Carmy. We love you!”
“You love Carmy. She’s not me.”
“Carmy-”
“I’m in a dark place right now, Hanna.”
I ran my free hand through my long greasy blond hair. When was the last time I showered? Last week?
“We can help you into the light! You just need to come home and start going to church again and you’ll feel-”

“Feel?” I interrupted her again. “How am I supposed to feel? Better? Do I have the right to feel better after what Weaver did to all those girls? He was pretending they were me, Hannah. And then he killed the only man I ever loved. I have no right to feel anything and I don’t. I don’t want to. I don’t want to come home and I sure as Hell don’t want to go to church.”


No comments:

Post a Comment